Roxane Laboratories is maintaining an abundant pipeline of development products and is focused on creating value through innovation to meet the ever-changing needs of customers and their patients.
Roxane Laboratories, Inc. began operations as Columbus Pharmacal in 1885 as a regional pharmaceutical manufacturer based in downtown Columbus, Ohio. In 1959, Columbus Pharmacal was purchased by Philips of the Netherlands at which time the name was changed to Philips Roxane. Several years later in 1978, Philips Roxane was acquired by the German based pharmaceutical company Boehringer Ingelheim and the name was changed to Roxane Laboratories, Inc.
Roxane Laboratories operates as the research and development, sales and marketing arm of Boehringer Ingelheim’s multisource pharmaceutical business. Marketing more than 75 medications in more than 250 package sizes, Roxane Laboratories’ focus is on expanding our line of multisource pharmaceutical products including: bulk and unit-dose package configurations for liquids and solids; coated, sustained-release and controlled-release tablets; nasal sprays, topical solutions, cytotoxics, and CII narcotics.
Roxane Laboratories’ affiliate, Boehringer Ingelheim Roxane, Inc. (BIRI), functions as the primary production site for the multisource non-sterile pharmaceuticals. Located on the same Columbus campus as Roxane Laboratories, BIRI operates out of a modern 500,000 square foot manufacturing and laboratory facility that spans 70 acres and employs approximately 1,000 people. This campus also functions as a primary launch site for new Boehringer Ingelheim product launches.